Hi all,

On Thursday 17 Jun 2010 04:18:17 Stevan Little wrote:
> On Jun 16, 2010, at 7:14 PM, Kate Yoak wrote:
> >>
> >> Another orthogonal comment: Error.pm is evil; don't use it.
> >> Try::Tiny or
> >> TryCatch are much better.
> >
> > OK, in the last few hours, on this relatively quiet mailing list,
> > there have been two honesty-goodness laugh-out-loud jokes, and two
> > separate moral denunciations.
> > Something's clearly in the air.
> >
> > (That said, thanks, I was getting the inkling of the dark side
> > within Error.pm for a while now!)
>
> Even the authors of Error.pm no longer recommend it
> (http://search.cpan.org/~shlomif/Error-0.17016/lib/Error.pm#WARNING ).

Just a note - I (= "shlomif" on CPAN) am not an Error.pm "author" as I did not
originate it. What I am is one of its maintainers, who ended up maintaining it
after Arun Kumar U was missing in action. I also got some help from Paul
Evans, after I started maintaining it.

> Personally I like Try::Tiny, it is simple and smart and just does
> things right. Also, since Moose depends on it, so it is already
> installed :)

I've yet to start drinking the Try::Tiny kool-aid, and am now using
Exception::Class along with some plain-Perl eval { ... } and if/else/elsif
logic. It works for me, but may not be ideal.

Nevertheless, please don't use Error.pm.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish