2001 is years before I got involved in Perl. Huh. I'm also guessing a
Dist::Zilla screwup.

Anders Nor Berle (Debolaz) wrote the first version of
MooseX::Singleton. I took over once I needed to have singleton magic
in my code, because the initial implementation was insufficient.
MooseX::Singleton 0.01 was a role that wrapped your "new" method. I
basically rewrote it entirely to provide a metaclass instead. Dave got
involved a few versions later to help clean up. He's still in the
process of doing that. But he did not "make" MooseX::Singleton.

MooseX::Singleton 0.25 had the correct copyright information:
Copyright 2007-2009 Infinity Interactive

MooseX::Singleton 0.26 released (by Dave) changed it to: This software
is copyright (c) 2001 by Shawn M Moore.

I haven't touched MX::Singleton in years, because I stopped doing
stuff with singletons.

Shawn