I resisted bashing jQuery for quite some time (and won't start now).
I think the reason Joomla time-by-time ditches MooTools is because its main
antagonist, Wordpress, uses jQuery. The nail in the coffin was YooTheme
with its warp framework, maybe it was simply cheaper to do all that UI/AJAX
stuff with a more mainstream framework.

The only way MοоTools might thrive, solely depends on the real world
examples its users can create (eg. the new wordpress/joomla/xenfоrο killer
built on node.js with sockets and MοоTools anywhere the developers fit it).

The modularity of MοоTools (especially with wrapup - prime, agent etc.) is
by its own a killer feature.
Adding old browser support for features like JSON is very easy if you need
to support them.

--

---