Thank you to all who provided input.

Giving the IDs unique names worked.  Do I really need to remove them
altogether?

I tried moving
    window.addEvent( 'load', function() {
     ScrollLinks.start()
    });
to the very bottom of my page, but the smooth scrolling no longer worked.

When I changed onLoad= to onload= in the body tag, it no longer threw an
error.
The site passed W3Schools verification.

-E

--