You said it all, Man.  I hope others sat down and took notes.

Zeev

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] MOPO: SHIPPING QUESTION ?

> Hello to Larry and all the rest, this is regarding shipping to canada and
overseas.  The first thing I wanted to mention is a tube is considered a
roll in postal language.  36 inches is the maximum length, for domestic or
overseas shipping.  Sometimes you have to ask your post office clerk to look
it up because some, especially new employees don't know a tube is considered
a roll.
>   Second, shipping to canada is always cheaper than shipping in the US.
In the USA, I use priority mail with delivery confirmation which costs
$4.30. The yazoo mills tubes I use cost $1 each.  That makes my inside the
USA shipping costs $5.30 for one  tube, one poster. (tape and poster sleeve
not counted)  I charge $6 postage for rolled posters.  If I am sending a
poster overseas, I add a second tube for protection.  All international
packages (this includes Canada) go air mail letter post.  Air mail to canada
costs less than priority mail in the USA.  A little less than $4 if my
memory serves me right....tube cost not included. (difference is the
currency exchange rate between canadian and usa I figure)
> Regarding customs declared value.... for customs purposes I DON'T put the
extrinsic value of the poster as the customs declared value.... If this was
merchandise like a watch or diamond ring... I would... but a piece of paper
27x41 inches isn't that valuable, and thats what a poster is, a piece of
paper.  I put $1 per poster as the "value".  I'm not the only one who does
this, as an example, when I purchased two attraction posters from disney
auctions at $150 each, they were printed in england and sent to me directly
by air mail.  Declared value $5.  Thats probably what it would cost them to
print two more.
> Proper packaging eliminates the need for insurance.  Two tubes and
requiring a signature on delivery lets me know it made it to its
destination, and to bend two yazoo mills tubes, one taped around the other,
it would take a truck to run over it, or a very determined postal employee
to damage it.
> Shipping to the UK (par avion) costs between $7.65 and $8.75, plus $2 for
two tubes.  Austrialia, Japan and Taiwan seem to be the most expensive
places to mail to.  Best wishes all (sorry for the lengthy email) and have a
good weekend!  Martin May