From: J R
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 10:40 AM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] A Tale of Two Feedback Ratings

I do wish Craig would post the names of sellers he knows are bad. Why only offer to provide them privately? Why not let everyone know? Why would you protect these sellers? They are not going to sue you for mentioning their seller names on MOPO, even if they read MOPO, which is highly unlikely.

In the case of the magically re-appearing seller, it does sound like eBay is trying pretty hard to stop this guy. it was pointed out that they booted him, then he comes back the next day under a different name and they boot him again, yet he comes back the next day under yet another name. It seems eBay is booting him as soon as they become aware of him operating under a new name. This is actually pretty good reaction time for eBay -- which usually waits months to take action (if they ever do).

The problem is sheer volume. There are probably 1 million items PER DAY being listed on eBay. How would you check each one for fraud or repetition of phrases used in previous fraudulent descriptions? Virtually impossible to go through them all and then have humans evaluate them against past problems -- at least in any reasonable time.

If the seller has registered a bunch of different names with eBay, that makes it really tough. How are they to know that the new seller name is the same person as the old outlawed name? At least at first.

In theory, they should be able to identify these people by the credit card number that they have to provide in order to be a seller. In practice, it appears these bad guy sellers have access to a whole lot of different credit card numbers and have no trouble coming up with a new one for each new seller name they create.

It's pretty scary and the only real solution is to deal either with sellers you know to be safe from past transactions or to at least make sure the feedback on a seller you are trying for the first time is way up there in the 99.5% and above area. It should be closers to 99.8% if the seller has  thousands of feedbacks. There should only be one or two negatives and they should not be the serious "non-delivery" kind. I know this approach really penalizes newbie sellers, but that's unavoidable in the kind of mass-market mess and free for all that eBay has become.

Sure, you will have to pass up some "real bargains" with this approach -- which is a shame -- but on the other hand, it is the "real bargains" that the crooks dangle in front of people in their bogus auctions to lure them in.

-- JR