Myles,

Your thoughts make a great deal of sense!!  I am 99% collector and have
sold a very few things on Ebay a while ago.  It was such a hassle.
Sometimes I wound up spending more on postage than the seller paid
because I was so concerned about the condition staying the way I
advertised it.

It would be a really good thing if the high traffic sellers you
mentioned would just try JR's site.  The buyers would - no doubt - follow.

Thank you for your intelligent post,

Nathalie Yafet

MJ & AK wrote:

I used to be a regular seller.  Now I find that there are just waaaay too
many titles on eBay to wade through.  Not too long ago a had several
1-sheets on eBay many of them received no bids at all even though they were
good titles.  For kicks I consigned the same titles just to see what would
happen. Every title sold except for one, some even brought a touch more than
expected. But then I had to pay seller of my posters their cut.

Now granted I never was dealing in large quantities, however my packaging
was excellent, descriptions accurate, and I was always prompt.  I quit
selling for the most part because I do not want to consign my posters and
turn over $$ to someone else simply because they list large quantites of
material.  My listings on eBay for the most part became ignored I think
because many people in our hobby browse only certain sellers and simply to
not want to take the time to wade through the rest of the muck in the poster
catagories even though their are many excellent items there.  I have been
thinking of giving JRs site a chance, but a I am a bit concerned about the
traffic there.  I think that if more of the large quantity sellers moved to
JRs site and abandoned eBay it could be good for this hobby.

Right now my listings on eBay don't stand a chance of being seen, unless I'm
offering something truly unique.  If sellers like Bruce, Moviegoods, Rotman
Aucitons and so on were to move to a different site that is dedicated to
this hobby it would generate much more traffic yet I think my listings could
compete with theirs because the people patronizing the site are their for
one reason, movie posters.

Perhaps my ramblings do not make sense but these are my thoughts. Flame
away...

Best,
Myles

From: MoPo List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Bruce Hershenson Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 10:54 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: [MOPO] Where have all the sellers gone, long time passing

I used to check a group of eBay sellers once a week, figuring that if they mostly put on 7 day items, I would not miss much, if I checked them all once a week at the same time.

I built up the list of those I followed over a long time (4 years!), adding
sellers who regularly added interesting material, and dropping sellers who
packed poorly, over-graded, claimed they lost items, put misleading titles
on their items, used "rare" too much, etc.

At one time I was very proud of this list!  It contained over 70 sellers,
and it took me four or five HOURS to scan over all their items, clicking on
whatever seemed interesting.  I found many good items, and while I rarely
got a "steal", because these were after all the best regular sellers on
eBay, I found I was almost always happy after I opened my packages, because
the items were well packed and as described (or better).

Then, around 6 months ago, I noticed that some of these sellers (many with
feedback ratings in the thousands) had suddenly quit selling.  It wasn't a
case of their going "bad" because they had no bad feedbacks.  It was just
"poof", and no more items for sale.

Lately, this trend has been escalating.  I stopped dropping sellers off my
list for not listing, because I was afraid I would soon have no list at
all, and there was always the chance some of these sellers were "on
vacation".

My list is down to around 50 sellers.  I just went through them all,
checking their items for sale, and at least half had no items at all, and
most of the rest had stuff they endlessly list.  The entire process took me
20 minutes, and if I dropped off those who seem to have quit listing, it
might take me 10 minutes!

Do any of you also see this trend, and what do you think this says about
our hobby, and eBay's role in it?

Bruce
eMoviePoster.com