Great story, Joe. I have often wondered if I would EVER find a poster with a direct connection to my childhood theaters. And I lived in Manhattan! I thought the odds would be in my favor.

Off topic but anyone interested in movie theaters should check out www.cinematreasures.com

Jerry the K
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2004 8:30 AM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] MyMoviePosters Weekend Update November 28th 2004

Dear Dan,
These posts are very interesting and informative.
You wrote:

<When I think of what an original movie poster is in my mind, it's
probably one that you or I (or for that matter any of us who collect
movie posters), might have stood staring at - in awe maybe -
outside/inside of a cinema as a kid. When I think of what an original movie poster is in my mind, it's
probably one that you or I (or for that matter any of us who collect
movie posters), might have stood staring at - in awe maybe -
outside/inside of a cinema as a kid. >

One of my prize possessions is a half-sheet from a film called "Seven Cities of Gold"-- an early Fox CinemaScope release.  It's a nice poster, but what makes it special to me is that on the back is written in pencil, "Joy Theater- Vicksburg, Mississippi."  Which means that this particular poster was displayed there during the original run in 1954 or 1955 and that eleven or twelve-year-old Joe Bonelli stared at it-- the very poster that I own fifty years later.
It's not framed but will be one day-- with the back visible.
It always reminds me that I've loved the movies since I was five.
Thanks and keep it up!
Joe

PS-- Please excuse the abrupt change in fonts, but computers do what they want!
Joe

MyMoviePosters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

MyMoviePosters Weekend Update November 28th 2004

New this week...

I was really impressed by all the responses that were sent in on last week's question.There were some really great points made! Thank you all for your input.I was very pleased!

Here are just some of the comments......

For me, original has to be first print run for the first release of the movie. The only difference between
a used and an unused original is in the rarity value of the unused poster, although the romance of
having something which was actually displayed at the time is also a draw.

Actually "Sent" out to a theatre, overseas, etc., by the Studio for the theatrical presentation of the film.

When I think of what an original movie poster is in my mind, it's
probably one that you or I (or for that matter any of us who collect
movie posters), might have stood staring at - in awe maybe -
outside/inside of a cinema as a kid. That's obviously not a technical
definition of what is, or is not, original. just a nostalgic
definition or something.

But I guess original would be any poster that was printed for that
first release. Or any subsequent poster printed specifically for a
rerelease...??

I think an original movie poster is any poster that was manufactured
exclusively for the purpose of promoting a movie release.It doesn't matter
if it was sent to movie theaters in my view for example, the studio-issued
Empire Style A one sheet is a valid as an NSS one), or used or displayed.
In terms of the original release only, I think that does not matter as long
as the poster is clearly different or otherwise marked as being from a
subsequent re-release.  In other words, I consider the Empire R-81 and R-82
to be originial movie posters, if that's what you are getting at.

I am of the mind that it has to have been issued by the studio for the films theatrical release.

I include re-releases in the "original" definition, but the poster has to have been printed with
the intent to use it to promote the release of the film in theaters (either original release or re-release).
it can't be a "special edition" printed up and sent to club members, or made specifically to be sold
over-the-counter through various stores. it has to be the poster specifically printed to be sent to
theaters and should be from the print run done for that purpose, not from a subsequent print run
that was done to provide additional copies to dealers. that part is the hardest to identify and deal with,
I know, and we'll probably never get it all down, but it's worthwhile to try.

I feel that for a poster to be "original" it has to
have been an authorized printing by the studio for use
as promotional material ONLY(i.e.: sent to theatres,
handed out at screenings, premeires, etc.)
before/during the release of the film.

At least it has to made for a theater. Re-releases are
ok. The printer running off "extras" for
dealers/friends are more questionable, but impossible
to differentiate.

I'd say for 100% accuracy, it had to be used at a theatre, pinholes and all.

For 99% accuracy, it had to be intended for use at a theatre. Evidently there are finds in
warehouses where posters were printed but never sent off for use. Great to own,
but there's something not quite right about a poster which never saw the inside or outside
of a cinema.

In my opinion, an original movie poster is one that was made with the intent
that it was only to be used for theatrical promotional use.This doesn't
mean that the poster actually had to be used by the theater or even sent to
the theater, but that it was made for that purpose.If someone happens to
snag one off the printing press, it is still an original poster in my book.

The issue of a re-release can also be answered by the above definition of an
original.  A re-release is still an original movie poster with the intent to
be used by theaters.Of course, the poster should be designated as a
re-release, but it is still an original film poster by my definition.

Original posters were printed at the same time (same plates, same measurements, etc)
as the posters that were sent to theaters, but the poster doesn't actually have to be theater-used
...it just helps when determining originality.

 I usually think of an original as 1 that was printed to be used as A movie poster in a theatre.
This could include recalled posters, advanced, or re-release's.

A poster that was printed for the purpose of promoting a movie before
or during its release.

Reprints are printed to make money on poster sales.  Movie posters are
printed to make money on the movie.

My opinion is any poster (first release or rerelease ).  that comes from either a theatre, the studio or NSS when it was around is legit.Posters that come from the printers as over runs are not.Also single sided are just as legit as double sided.

I'd say original constitutes a printing for the
original theatrical run; not necessary to have been
used.

Bob Brooks,a good friend of mine,has assembled a few of his beloved movie posters and uploaded their images on his site to share with everyone.He has set some prices if you decide to buy one.The prices may seem a little high however one has to take into account how difficult it has become to aquire some of the more interesting posters these days.If for nothing else,a great place to see one of the more unusual and particular poster collections around,visit http://www.damnthe.com/sale/

Question of the week....

Since we are talking original movie posters....

(If a movie theater printed up a movie poster for a film they were playing,and used it at the theater for promotional purposes during the film's original theatrical run....would this be considered an original movie poster?)

Reason I ask....I have about 5 inserts that were printed up from an independant printer for movie theater display and were actually used at a movie theater.They are 2 color and they are of poor quality.Some original elements were used to create them.Looks like they used art from ad slicks and presskits.I was interested in what you thought?

Take care out there,

Dan Rickard
Movie Poster Authentication

Do you Yahoo!?