Okay, I’m annoyed.  My husband bid for a laptop for me on eBay on December 4, didn’t check feedback thoroughly, (theoretically won) and the guy asked for me to pay up.  So far so good, but he also asked me to send a money order to “my new address.”  So I checked the feedback and, while he’s got a good record as a buyer, 13.5% of his feedback says he takes the money and you never get the goods.  He’s also got high praise for his apparently pirated software (Man, you can cut me a CD any day!).

I asked eBay for guidance.  Got what you’d expect, pay up!  Finally, I got an agreement from him that he’d sent the laptop insured and COD at our expense.  Since then, he claims he can’t contact us although he’s sent us several emails and we have replied to each one of them.

A couple of days ago, eBay sent us a warning that we had 7 days to reply or we’d get a non-paying buyer ding.  We replied – eBay said pay up.  No word from the seller, although he’d expressed to us that he didn’t want to have to pay for the listing.  We said that we’d still pay for it, and all associate costs, if he sent it COD.  We’ll see what happens.  I’m ticked enough to have written a letter stating that I’d like a remedy and response from eBay on the situation.  I’m sure I’ve directed it to the right office, not just email form-letter hell.

Cheers,

Cindy

Okay, in the past several of you have said, as I’ve found, that eBay makes it difficult to get a real person to get past the boilerplate.  So, since I’ve gone to the trouble of finding it, here’s how to contact their chief legal beagle:

He’s 49, has been an eBay officer since 1998, is listed as Senior Vice President, Legal Affairs; General Counsel and Secretary of the Corporation.  He’s a Harvard & Stanford graduate.

Michael R. Jacobson '80
Ebay Inc.
2145 Hamilton Avenue
San Jose, CA 95125
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: 408/558-7511
Fax: 408/558-7514

Employment

·                               Senior vice president for legal affairs, general counsel and secretary of eBay; previously: attorney, Cooley Godward LLP

Practice Areas

  • Intellectual property
  • Litigation
  • Corporate securities
  • Joint ventures
  • Mergers and acquisitions

Education

·                               JD, Stanford Law School, 1980

·                               AB, Harvard College (magna cum laude), 1975

Stanford Affiliations

Member, Executive Committee, Stanford Law School Board of Visitors

For eBay’s last annual filing with the SEC (filed March 8, 2004):

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1065088/000089161804000676/0000891618-04-000676-index.htm This contains lots of good, but tedious to find, information about pending lawsuits against eBay, financials, insiders, contracts, conflicts, etc.