At the same time, there was also another set of Warner Bros musicals
but I cannot remember the titles.
Ralph

On Mar 21, 2005, at 2:49 PM, Bruce Carteron wrote:

Hi Joe and all: I thought the picture was great on "LAURA" although the
sound seemed a little muffled - the restored scene wasn't that great of
quality - probably because it had been cut before release. Yes, I was
really
impressed with "LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN" too - but where are their other
Technicolor greats - like the Betty Grable 40's musicals, "JESSE
JAMES" "THE
BLACK SWAN"? As far as Warners' goes - where are their musicals? They
have
the MGM library and have put those out - but only "42ND  STREET" on the
Busby Berkeleys? - and they own RKO - where's "KING KONG" and the
Astaire-Rogers musicals? I also hope they re-release the "Forbidden
Hollywood" series on DVD. - Bruce
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Bonelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Release of movie Laura on DVD

Hi from Joe B.

I got the Laura as well from Best Buy (wish I'd had the coupon).  I
haven't looked at the entire disc but I think the restoration is
pretty
good but not super. This is the finally-released disc that was
postponed
last year.  Could it have been because they were trying to find better
source material?
It's great to have the title and I'll reserve judgement on restoration
quality until I've watched the whole thing at night.  But it doesn't
look
nearly as good as the new Warner Classics releases of, say, the
Gangster
films.  However Fox did a superb job with many others, especially the
recenty release of Leave Her to Heaven which looks splendid in
Technicolor
and in many of the other black & white releases as well.  So......

Joe B.

PS-- I am glad to hear someone else comment about the lesser quality
of
picture, etc. eminating from the Fox Movie Channel.  Since I've moved
don't have sattelite or cable but I noticed for the past few years
that
Fox Movie Channel's picture quality has always been substandard--
compared
to anything else!
Joe

From: Kirby McDaniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: 2005/03/21 Mon PM 02:08:27 EST To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU Subject: Re: [MOPO] Release of movie Laura on DVD

Hope it's better than Fox Movie Channel.  They run LAURA frequently
with
a print they salvaged from the drive-in.  I get that from
DirecTV.  Ever wonder why their Fox's movie channel looks cheap?
Channel 258 on DirecTV.  Look like mpeg2 sometimes.

Kirby