The Spelling Police are retired however.  They
are now workin' for Home-Land Sekurity.
K.

On Jul 2, 2005, at 8:22 AM, Freedom Lover wrote:

Caught ya, Kirby!!!  Drek is not spelled with a c.

Love,
The spelling police.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kirby McDaniel"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 2:37 AM
Subject: [MOPO] E.T. PHONE HOME

I saw WAR OF THE WORLDS tonight and it is neither the masterpiece that
some devoutly wish it to be nor the dreck that some have claimed.
It has its own kind of menace to be sure.  In fact, I would say that
taking a child under the age of seven would be inappropriate at best.
There is a kind of primitive dread that gets on your nerve, and I
think
that many children would find this film unpleasant.
Ironically, the young girl who plays Tom Cruise's daughter in the film
gives one of the most impressive performances.
The effects are clever, the war-machines (tripods) are impressive in
that good-cgi kind of way.  There is a fresh approach to set and
setting, art direction and set decoration in the film are very smart.
The score is featureless with lots of bombast and tension and no
themes
that I could discern.  The photography and use of color is good and
brands the film with a particular style.  I found myself pulled in at
times and just as quickly cast off.
Tom Cruise has carried many films, and he will carry this one. He has
earned the kind of respect at the box office from the industry that no
amount of Oscars could hope to replicate.  He is bankable. People have
criticized the acting, but I don't think that the acting is so bad,
but
the script lacks direction at times and it sorely tries our suspension
of disbelief.  But then what else can you expect from this kind of
thing?  The ending is strictly DEUS EX MACHINA and Spielberg uses his
neat ending to fill in the film with his characteristic feel-good goo.
E.T. phone home!
I always hold up ALIEN and ALIENS as good examples of what polished
and
smart examples of this type of sci-fi fantasy films should be.
This ain't that.
But it is reasonably entertaining, and there is some considerable
spectacle.
Not wide screen either!  That surprised me.
Steven Spielberg isn't the best director around, but when he is "on",
he makes very kinetic films, able to get at the visceral very quickly.
Kirby McDaniel
www.movieart.net