I think it can really be boiled down to a few simple things in films
today.. with rare exception.

1) same old ideas rehashed for the 10,000th time
2) lack of any intellectual value
3) blasting action to push up your adrenalin
4) films made just for the sake of making films & making money

and even the best directors  have fallen into that arena with the exception
of guys like Tarantino and Ed Burns. It would be hard to say that even
though it was a really good film, that Scorsese's Gangs of New York was
much more than a potboiler and we're talking about an American "auteur"
director. Why has even he "sold out" ??  well first of all most of them
can't turn their noses to the money these films make (Spielberg & Cruise
each get almost 60mil off the top from WOTW) and just like Orson Welles..
if they want to make movies within the current studio system they have to
sell out to do it in general. In other words.. the "art" of making films is
where we are lacking today, and how many smash-em-ups can we handle??

Why does Tarantino for instance still get to make the movies he wants to??

well first of all his off beat trademark has been incredibly profitable for
Hollywood and his producer is Laurence Bender who has also made much dinero
for Hollywood.. So tarantino writes his own ticket

By the way, those that bash Spielberg shouldn't. His career is of  a varied
canvas, and if WOTW or Minority Report is below what youthink Spielberg
should make, then I think you should also take into account Amistad &
Schindler's List for their intellectuial & social value and then understand
even the great Steven should be able to make his action films as well..