Hi Tom - Sounds cheap by Australian framing costs standards!!  I think
you perhaps need to talk to a carpenter/cabinet maker. Making picture
frames is NOT a massively difficult job unless you are having lavish
mounts cut for them, and I can't imagine that one panels would require
more than a solid frame, plexiglass, archival medium between
poster/linen and backing board to stop migration of acids from backing
board (which needs to be solid to keep one panels flat and/or to stop
them sagging from hanging in the frame. It's a logic problem for a
cabinet maker (especially as he is going to be getting x number of
plexiglass sheets cut to size.

I'd be seriously looking at them being part pre-fabbed and contsructed
in situ as an option. Cutting mitres in timber for frames is soemthing
that a first year crpenete's apprentice should be able to handle with
proficiency.

Good to see you on MoPo...
Best,
Phil
Tom A. Pennock wrote:

Hello Mopo'ers:

I have been trying for the last three and a half years to get seven
French one panel's "Grande"
framed locally. After wasting three years of my life with another
framer that constantly gave me the run around I retrived my posters.
One had been completed in the three year period. So anyway I went with
another framer in another town. This time it took five months for an
estimate and today I learned she wants $890.00 plus tax per one panel.
I thought I was going to have a heart attack! I did not take my two
panel over or mention it.

Anyway, is the $890.00 a bit high for a one panel. My ballpark figure
was about $500.00 to $600.00.

Thank's for any opinions. By the way I am a washed up has been from
Movie Poster Talk. Jon gave me my walking papers indirectly!!!

--Tom Pennock
Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com