My advice, if you really want something and cannot attend the auction, ask for a phone bid – you have more control.

From: MoPo List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Michael B
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 8:39 AM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] HERITAGE AUCTION strategy

in the last few auctions, i have acquired about 7 posters.  all except for one win was via an absentee bid.  the other one was through ebay LIVE.  i was watching it, and realized my absentee bid was outbid from the floor, so i increased my bid JUST ONE INCREMENT (and got it!!!!)

recognizing that the auction fee is 5% higher with fee with ebay, do you believe that it, in fact, accomplishes a savings since the absentee bid submission is Less?

moreover, i only followed the live-ebay auction twice, and did notice that there were some bargains that were scooped up by ebay-Live bidders.

I have about 8 bids in now.  winning some...........but losing the poster that i really want.  i am willing to pay about 3 times what the absentee bid is now.  it is a 1200-1500 poster that rarely shows up.  and expect to bid high!!!.  BUT-----should i win at the absentee level, or bid at the live auction????   my computer froze one time on ebay site only!!!!

i believe that bidding from the floor or live yields lower price than the absentee bids......... AGREE or NOT?

....and, yes, grey has a great assortment.   some of the pieces i own-----is fun for me to see how much those pieces will fetch!!!       i have run out of wall space, despite my room having 80 framed posters.   BUT, i havent framed the last poster i won at Heritage!!!!!

michael