Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] question about DEEP THROAT one sheet

David,

Yeah. That one looks like it was specially printed for the premiere, before the regular one-sheet was even produced. Extremely rare, I'd say. It maybe the only one left in existence.

What I meant was, since they obviously did produce a standard-size one sheet for the original release of the film, that in those days that would have been considered "good enough" -- no reason to produce any other size as far as they were concerned. If you already had a standard-size one sheet for DEEP THROAT, what would have been the point in spending money to produce a slightly smaller version of the same poster? But, perhaps as the film became a runaway smash hit (for a porno flick) that they ran out of the standard size one-sheets and decided to produce a secondary run to meet the demand and went with a smaller version. Possible. But would that have made economic sense when they already had the plates for the standard-size one sheet on hand and they could have simply and quickly print up more of those? Hard to say.

To clarify my earlier statement. Variant size original release posters for porno films may well have been produced for original theater releases, particularly by the very small producers, to save money. But whatever size they picked, they would have only produced that size, not several different sizes for the release. Not usually anyway. It was a penny-pinching business. Get the shot in one take and move on. Edit the thing in two days and get it out the door. One film... it only needs one poster. That was pretty much the attitude.

-- JR