Steve,
   You are correct, film is subjective, and that is why you have films like The Matrix making millions of dollars and, obviously, a establishing huge fan base. Doesn't mean it will be a classic. The list that you quoted from is, as you said, an internet poll. Remember, there are many people out there, especially of the older generation, that either don't have a computer or can barely navigate past email. I read somewhere that the average internet user is in their 20's.  Based on that I can understand the list. I get requests for the Pulp Fiction one sheet all the time and it is usually from younger people. I have many of my younger clients who have never even watched films like Gone With the Wind, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, etc., etc. So, obviously, they wouldn't be voting for one of those films if they have never even seen it. The votes are based on their own film watching. Don't you find it interesting that of the top 10 films on this list, almost all of them are from 1972 to now, with the majority of those from the last 10 or so years. I guarantee you if you polled the older members of this group the list would change dramatically. So, again you are correct. Film is for everyone, but this list you presented represents a very small fraction of film lovers.

Sue Heim

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] TARANTINO

Well, I don't chime in often, but here's a good indicator of the general internet film community - WOW!  Look who's #9.  Maybe there are other people that actually like and consider Pulp to be a classic.  Oh, and it's got more votes than the #1 film by almost 10,000 votes.

1. 9.1 The Godfather (1972) 147,825
2. 9.0 The Shawshank Redemption (1994) 178,739
3. 8.9 The Godfather: Part II (1974) 84,887
4. 8.9 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) 132,831
5. 8.8 Shichinin no samurai (1954) 39,340
6. 8.8 Schindler's List (1993) 112,664
7. 8.7 Casablanca (1942) 76,020
8. 8.7 Star Wars (1977) 156,915
9. 8.7 Pulp Fiction (1994) 157,514
10. 8.7 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) 122,502

21. 8.6 Citizen Kane (1941) 69,431

Of course, Citizen Kane and others will rate higher on most film critics' all-time lists, but film is for everyone, not just the critics.  And what most people don't realize - here it is: the Absolute Truth of Cinema: FILM IS SUBJECTIVE.  If you can't understand that no one is right and no one is wrong about film, then you have no right discussing it.  You can DEBATE, but there are no absolutes apart from this fact.

Now on to my opinions:

I personally think the Kill Bill films were genius - it combined elements from the western, samurai, contemporary action, Kung-Fu, and anime genres.  People condemning this feat as a mere rip-off couldn't be farther from the truth.  This comes from a thorough examination of the genres in question and a masterful application of such.

And it must be obvious that Quentin's now-signature use of editing his timelines in a non-linear fashion is another example of his mastery of the medium, and is now often-imitated.

I personally look forward to every one of his new films, and often will watch KB 1 and 2 back-to-back.

BTW, the Japanese posters for Kill Bill, both parts, are absolutely incredible (some 14 styles and counting)

Steve Zammar
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.dsonesheets.com
303/478-3973