I am very sad to see this forum used to express hate-filled prejudice and flat-out wrong information about my church.

I am a life-long member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and I can tell you without reservation that the post below is full of false assumptions and just plain wrong information.

First, Danny referred to my faith as a "repressive conservative Christian cult." I am flabbergasted. The central characteristic of a cult, as I understand it, is that an organization takes away it's members' freedom to choose for themselves.  As a lifelong member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I assure you that one of our most important beliefs is that every person born into this world has free agency -- or the right to choose for themselves what they will do and how they will behave.  No Mormon is every compelled to do or say anything by The Church, and anyone who says otherwise is ill-informed.

Danny's excuse for attacking my church in this forum seems to be that one theater owner in Utah has chosen not to show a movie about gay cowboys. He implies that because this one individual made this choice, the LDS Church can be held accountable. As I said, The Church never compels anyone to do anything. The decision not to show Brokeback Mountain is that of the theater owner himself, and should not be seen as a decision made by The Church.

Danny also used the personal experience of one gay person coming out to his LDS family as an excuse to condemn a church with a membership of 12 million worldwide. That one gay man's unfortunate rejection by his parents speaks of that family alone. It is ridiculous to say that their reaction to their son being gay is representative of the position of the church as a whole. That's like saying that because Ted Kennedy cheated on his wife, the Catholic Church must surely condone adultery.

It is true that members of the LDS Church view homosexuality as a sin. But as our President Gordon B. Hinckley has said many times, we reject the sin, not the individuals who engage in it.

During an interview on Larry King Live, President Hinckley was asked about The Church's position on homosexuality and he said this:

"In the first place, we believe that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God. We believe that marriage may be eternal through exercise of the power of the everlasting priesthood in the house of the Lord.

"People inquire about our position on those who consider themselves so-called gays and lesbians. My response is that we love them as sons and daughters of God. They may have certain inclinations which are powerful and which may be difficult to control. Most people have inclinations of one kind or another at various times. If they do not act upon these inclinations, then they can go forward as do all other members of the Church. If they violate the law of chastity and the moral standards of the Church, then they are subject to the discipline of the Church, just as others are.

"We want to help these people, to strengthen them, to assist them with their problems and to help them with their difficulties. But we cannot stand idle if they indulge in immoral activity, if they try to uphold and defend and live in a so-called same-sex marriage situation. To permit such would be to make light of the very serious and sacred foundation of God-sanctioned marriage and its very purpose, the rearing of families."

I think that most LDS people would be saddened to learn that one of their children was gay, as most Christians would, but I do not believe that most LDS parents would reject their child for being gay. Most would react with compassion and would hope that someday things would change for their child.

I apologize for using so much space to respond to a post that should never have come across MoPo, but this forum has been used today to slander the thing most dear to me in this world, my faith in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and I had to stand up and correct the avalanche of false information contained in that post. I hope this forum will never be used again to highlight such hatred and prejudice.

Laura Miller