From: Richard Halegua Comic Art <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: Kenneth Turan's take on Brokeback's loss
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:20:45 -0800

David

an observation that I have is that this guy isn't just bitter. He is totally outraged that Brokeback didn't win best film. As a matter of fact, I also see that what he is saying is that Hollywood is homo-phobic and that's why they voted for Crash. To go even further, his commentary is something that journalists try to avoid as a matter of course because while there is nothing wrong with taking sides, you at least need to avoid an appearance of impropriety or in other words, you need to be balanced in your speech, even if not in your temper.

Now I want to go out on a limb here and say something & I don't want anyone thinking I'm homophobic , because I'm not & have a number of gay friends who I respect dearly. But I think the reason Kenneth Turan might be so virulent in his treatment is that he may be gay himself, and sees this as one more snub from his peers in some way. His intemperance in the article is too outraged, so I think there's something in back of his anger.

His reasoning also for Brokeback being best also strikes me as shallow and his frontal attack on Crash is unreal, in this context.

thanks for sending me the read