Sorry to hear about Maureen Stapleton. It so happens we recently re-viewed
Reds for the first time since having seen when it was originally released.
It's over-long but actually holds up quite well, with all the supporting
players coming off especially well, particularly Jack Nicholson and Ms.
Stapleton, who had that magic thing called "presence" which seems so lacking
in many actors today.

Dave Rosen
Posteropolis
www.posteropolis.com

> Another sad loss to report. Maureen Stapleton died today at age 80.
Another
> loss of a wonderful actress.
>
> Here's the new story:
>

> NEW YORK (AP) - Maureen Stapleton, the Oscar-winning character actress
whose
> subtle vulnerability and down-to-earth toughness earned her dramatic and
> comedic roles on stage, screen, and television, died Monday. She was 80.
>
> Her son, Daniel Allentuck, said she died of natural causes.
>
> Stapleton, whose unremarkable, matronly appearance belied her star
> personality and talent, won an Academy Award in 1981 for her supporting
role
> as anarchist-writer Emma Goldman in Warren Beatty's "Reds," about a
> left-wing American journalist who journeys to Russia to cover the
Bolshevik
> Revolution.
>
> To prepare for the role, Stapleton said she tried reading Goldman's
> autobiography, but soon chucked it out of boredom.
>
> "There are many roads to good acting," Stapleton, known for her
> straightforwardness, said in her 1995 autobiography, "Hell of a
Life.""I've
> been asked repeatedly what the 'key' to acting is, and as far as I'm
> concerned, the main thing is to keep the audience awake."
>
> Stapleton was nominated several times for a supporting actress Oscar,
> including for her first film role in 1958's "Lonelyhearts"; "Airport" in
> 1970; and Woody Allen's "Interiors" in 1978.
>
> Her other film credits include the 1963 musical "Bye Bye Birdie" opposite
> Ann-Margret and Dick Van Dyke, "Johnny Dangerously,""Cocoon,""The Money
Pit"
> and "Addicted to Love."
>
> In television, she earned an Emmy for "Among the Paths to Eden" in 1967.
She
> was nominated for "Queen of the Stardust Ballroom" in 1975; "The
Gathering"