Title: AOL Email
I agree with JR. As a seller on ebay, it can be frustrating. I send out emails after auctions to verify the order, verify the size dimensions of the frames ordered, etc, etc. It is almost without question that when I don't get a response to those emails, they are AOL users. I then have to contact ebay to get a phone number and often the customer is an older ebay user and hasn't updated their information, so phone numbers are out of service and addresses have changed. I go to the trouble of sending out a letter to the customer at the listed address on ebay and it comes back "not at this address". So I have to wait until the customer wonders where their frames are and calls me. This is the last resort scenario, because often I can call the customer's city information and get a new phone number,  (however this is sometimes a dead end also as many people have their phone numbers unlisted). You get my point, it is a lot of extra hassle and cost. I put an AOL notice on every single one of my auctions. In addition, many people don't even know how to change their junk filter settings. While millions of people have computers, many don't know how to operate them beyond opening up their inbox, reading email and deleting. I have customers that never even look in their junk folder. They just assume the "good" email is getting through.

Sue Heim

----- Original Message -----
From: JR
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:19 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] WSJ: AOL, Verizon blocking legitimate mail

David,

You wrote:

"I have been using AOL since 1991 and I don't have a problem. If you disable ALL their email spam filters then everything DOES get through."

...Logical, but unfortunately not correct. AOL is actually bouncing incoming messages from entire servers at the gateway level *without* sending those messages on to members accounts, which is where your Spam Filters kick in. I know this for a fact. Their incoming servers have been bouncing messages I send AOL members using my standard [EMAIL PROTECTED] address for about 4 months now. They never even attempt to deliver these messages... they just bounce them back, saying that they are "not accepting mail" from my server -- but don't say why (even though there is nothing wrong with my server and every other service on the planet accepts mail from it). There are several AOL members (like Michael) who have me cleared with their Spam filters and used to get my messages with no problems, but no longer do -- they can't even tell I've tried to send them something.

I've been a professional computer network consultant for 20 years and know what I'm talking about here. The reason why I now specifically label AOL as "do not use for business purposes" is because as far as I can tell no other ISP blocks messages wholesale based on the originating server at the incoming gateway level like this.  In the case of AOL, there is nothing an individual member can do to prevent the incoming AOL servers from bouncing mail like this. It just happens and the individual members don't even know it's been done.

But, having said all this several times before, I personally am weary of trying to convince AOL users that there is a serious problem and simply won't bother to waste my time or theirs anymore.  I just wanted give one last warning to those who care to listen that it is NOT a wise thing to do to trust your business correspondence to an AOL address.

-- JR
Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com