Many of the scam's that come through our office require payment by western union.  That is because ther is no recourse or tracking down of the person who receives the money.  You are just out - out - out.  Many of the you won!  here is a check scams require payment of taxes and such by western union after you deposit their cashiers check.  It takes two weeks for the bank to notify you that the cashiers check was a fake... and they want their money back, freeze your accounts, and your out what ever amount you sent them..  See it 20 times a day.

-----Original Message-----
From: JR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:11:32 -0400
Subject: [MOPO] MOPO sellers need to act on this fraud

Brek,

This high-end auction by "nikitas_best" is clearly a major fraud attempt and
should be reported to eBay reps by the larger sellers on this group immediately.

I agree that it is long past time for Heritage to add digital watermarks to
their images. I can't imagine why they haven't been doing so all along. For a
big operation they certainly can miss the obvious from time to time.

But, Brek, you don't have to worry about them sending out a bunch of fakes and
lowering the value of the originals -- they are not going to be sending anyone
who gives them money anything by excuses via email and then they will disappear.
They won't be delivering anything but heartbreak to the poor saps who fall for
this. This "nikitas_best" is so obviously a crook that I can't believe anyone
would fall for it and bid on any of these auctions.

But, these auctions have 6 days to run and they already have over $6,300 in bids
(assuming they are from genuine bidders and not this nikita fellow shilling). I
can't believe people are so stupid as to believe some unknown seller in Brazil
has all these premium posters up for sale at one time on eBay -- this is a
collection that would make the largest auction houses in the world drool with
envy -- and they're selling them on ebay all in one week with low starting bids
and no reserve? And hidden feedback and bidder IDs? And they only accept Western
Union and PayPal and insist on payment in 5 days but tell you will it take 14 to
21 days to get your item? How can anyone be so dumb as to bid on these things?
Yet there seem to be plenty of people doing it.

How can it be that eBay allows this kind of clear fraud to happen? I hope all
you big eBay sellers will personally contact your eBay reps about this
"nikitas_best" criminal and have him shut down before he walks away with $20,000
or more without even a slap on the wrist. Clearly, you can make good money very
quickly with little effort by staging a fake high-end auction like this, so it
is going to continue to happen if eBay doesn't do something -- and if the
genuine big sellers on eBay don't police the business themselves.

According to eBay, "nikitas_best" has been a member for just over a year and has
built up over 1300 feedbacks with only 8 negatives for an overall rating of 99%.
If these feedbacks were genuine, why wouldn't nikita make them public? It's a
quality rating, something to be proud of. Of course, if these feedback were all
generated by bidder IDs with (0) to (10) feedback themselves, it would be
obvious that nikita has spent the last year building up his own feedback rating
himself in preparation for launching this fraud. I can think of no other reason
why a seller would want to hide over 1300 positive feedback comments.

For years I have been asking WHY, WHY, WHY does eBay even allow feedback to be
hidden (along with Bidder IDs)? Hiding these things is an open invitation to
fraud. It is aiding and abetting illegal activity as far as I'm concerned and
I'm surprised some smart, well-heeled lawyers have not sued eBay over providing
crooks with a way to hide what they are doing from the public and assisting them
in their crimes. There are some things eBay has no control over, but hiding
feedback is something they have total control over and they can put a stop to it
anytime they want to. That they continue to allow private feedback when they
know it is being used to hide criminal activity is in itself a criminal act..

I know a few legit businesses also hide their bidder's IDs -- but I won't
participate in those auctions either -- and I don't think even legit businesses
should be allowed to do it. I know the song-and-dance about protecting their
clients. That's hogwash. When their clients are on the floor at a live auction
they don't worry about people from other auction houses being in the audience,
noting down the names of "their clients" and then later trying to get them to
buy something from another auction house. They are NOT "your clients" anyway --
you don't own them -- they are members of the general public who happen to bid
on your auction is all. While nowhere near as bad as hiding feedback, I have
always believed that hiding bidder's IDs is an invitation to trouble and simply
bad form (at best). I don't bid on any seller who does it. Sorry, Bruce, but
that's the way I feel about it. Even though you haven't abused the feature, it
is obvious that others can and will and therefore !
 I think all genuine sellers who are concerned about fraud should not use that
feature and should advocate its removal from the eBay system.

-- JR