From: Bob Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: 2006/09/07 Thu PM 05:00:11 CDT
>To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
>Subject: Re: [MOPO] is this "FAIR TO GOOD"        ???

>> Bruce H. gives you extremely fine pictures and tells it like it is  Now,
>> I've always wondered why on Earth everyone praises dealers for doing this
>> (in fact, it should probably be the opposite)???  They don't give you a
>> hi-res photo so you can see defects more clearly.  In fact, it has nothing
>> to do with the buyer at all.  The only reason they give you hi-res pics is
>> so that they don't have to grade any posters anymore!  It's to save
>> themselves a boat-load of time and money - so they can grade a poster in 2
>> seconds - not 2 minutes this way (it's pretty easy to grade a poster when
>> you only have two possible grades).  And, if they don't give you an accurate
>> grade - you can't complain when you get the poster (you had hi-res pics,
>> right).  It's a way of automating the process, like eBay is continually
>> doing, that keeps their customers at arms-length.  It's the internet version
>> of a phone-tree where you press buttons for half an hour before being
>> abruptly disconnected without e!
 ver speaking to anyone.   How that's in the buyer's</U> best interest, I'll
never know... High resolution pics are only half of the whole picture - not the
whole thing... Hi-res pics cost no extra money (except for increased bandwidth,
which is negligible now), take no extra time, no extra effort - and provide the
buyer with a lot less information than they were used to (with a medium-res pic
and an accurate description). Now, how about praising sellers who have hi-res
pictures AND detailed descriptions!?! Cheers,

>Bob   The grading is irrelevant because the seller has given you a very
>clear picture.  This is far more important than a poor, fair, good, etc.
>rating.  Bruce H. gives you extremely fine pictures and tells it like it   is
>with either frameable "as is" or "lesser", which means restoration
>required.  The fact that the star's face needs restoration is of utmost
>importance as faces are the hardest for a restorer to bring back to as close
>to original as possible.     Seeing the poster in such a state makes your
>buying or not buying   decision easy and I only wish all sellers would provide
>such a good picture   because it would make bidding decisions easier.     I
>have very little use for a seller's grading unless the seller   calls the
>poster very poor or mint.  There are certain aspects of a   poster that are
>important to each one of us and to me the faces of the stars   are number
>one.  If the faces are defaced then I don't want the   poster no matter how
>fine the r!
 est of the poster may be.     CJL  Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at
www.filmfan.com