From: Ron
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 4:03
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Repros of #9 Lobby Cards?

The seller is the creator of the #9 lobby card series - that's why his cards are all mint. He happens to be a good friend and an honorable person, and is selling cards printed in the original run limited to 200 copies.

JR wrote:
I just noticed something while cruising through the real time price results at icollectmovieposters.com. There is a seller on eBay who seems to have an unlimited supply of the #9 Lobby Cards. The seller, Perry2181, seems to be pretty sophisticated. He accurately describes what the #9 series was all about -- and even though he keeps offering these same cards over and over again (getting darn good prices for them), he restrains himself to making the offer only once a month or so:

http://www.icollectmovieposters.com/start-movieposters/start-sold/Default.html ... just put in #9 in the search window and go through the pages.

Even though I've seen this seller's auctions before on eBay, I didn't notice just how many of the #9s Perry2181 was selling over time. Now, since the original #9 Lobby Cards were ostensibly limited to a run of 200, how likely is it that this one seller would have so many original sets in his possession? I have been concerned about the possibility of fake lobby cards for some time because their size of 11x14 is easily done on modern color copiers and the modern machines can take card stock paper.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any info on these sales by Perry2181 or any idea on how likely it is that these are "originals". I use the term loosely, of course, as the original #9 Lobby Cards were in themselves fakes... created out of whole cloth to enhance... sort of... the original lobby card sets with all their dull, non-monster images. But considering the prices these sales are bringing in, truly "original" #9 lobby cards now have to be acknowledged as potentially valuable collectible items themselves -- if they are from that original 200 print run, that is.

The current batch on eBay can be seen at:

-- JR
Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com