** That was a great post, Freeman. What is intriguing about it is the "cross over" debate that goes on about signed pieces on posters or books or any other paper with something else printed on them.

** I also collected signed first edition, first printing books. A first edition is not necessarily a first printing. Today, you can identify most first printings by the presence of a number "1" on the countdown string of numbers on the back of the title page. The lowest number that appears is that book's printing. For example, if you see:

9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

** You're looking at a first printing....  If you see...

9 8 7 6 5 4

You're looking at a fourth printing. Publishers have different ways of marking their first printings, but smart collectors of signed books ALWAYS look this because so many people buy first editions not realizing that later printings are worthless, unless they are signed.

** There are two schools of thought about signed paper -- if an inscription is included, such as "To John Doe, thanks for everything, signed (insert celebrity name here) -- some feel it's not as desired as one that is signed with just a name. This is true for contemporary signatures. However, when an inscription is added by a celebrity who is dead, this drivers forgers crazy because not only do they have to mimic the signature, they have to mimic all the other words. Because Orson Welles is dead, anything signed by him is valued, with or without an inscription. The supply of authentic signatures by dead people is now finite. For living authors or celebrities, comparisons between authentic and forgeries are more difficult, but collectors generally prefer signatures dedicated to NO ONE from celebrities who are still living.

** Another target of forgeries is Audrey Hepburn. Her signature is easy to copy. I own a signed letter to a fan referencing a lost re-strike photo of her Oscar for Roman Holiday. It helps that I also have the original envelope, all written in her hand. It's dated 1998 on personal stationary from her home in Tolenchanz, Switzerland, where she is also buried. It is postmarked. I wish I had her signature on a lobby card, but then I'd have to deal with authenticity issues and do a lot of comparing with real documents or checks. I like the letter.

** Janet Leigh's signature is inscribed to me. She recently died. Only when I think of it, I realize it could be worth more because she signed my Psycho one-sheet with more than just, "Janet Leigh." She had a good career, but she was no superstar. However, Psycho is the film for which she will always be remembered. And I'm glad the thing is inscribed "psychotically yours" because down the road, having more words than just "Janet Leigh" for others to inspect, will make it more difficult for people to declare it's fake...even if I had NO picture of her signing it (which I do).

** Have you seen Humphrey Bogart's signature? It's super flamboyant. Difficult to copy. He didn't sign much, nor did Orson Welles. Getting signatures to those superstars is a coup. Those you see for sale are mostly done by publicists. At the peak of their fame, who had time to sign autographs? The studio publicity machine took care of everything.

** Here's another giveaway. I once ran into a guy who tried to sell me a signed lobby of Shanghai by Rita Hayworth. Only problem? It was signed in a Sharpie. Rita died in 1987. The Sharpie did not become the instrument of choice until after the 1970s. But Rita was already deep into Alzheimer's by the 1970s. The only thing real signed by Rita is either in ball-point or in fountain ink.

** Thanks for weighing in on the "theories which collapse under examination" stuff, Freeman. If authentic, Orson signing ANY poster even in VG or less condition is valuable. Billy Wilder stuff is also good, but Hitchcock is better. I also agree with Kirby. My "Waterfront" poster signed by Karl Malden is worth no more or less to a collector even if he was an Oscar winner for a different movie. It's not the same as if my poster was signed by Brando, who was a notorious "non-signer." But I can live with it. A Brando signature would require exhaustive examination with legal documents to ensure a buyer isn't getting fleeced. And if fake, it would be equivalent to a doodle by a 6-year old, wrecking its attractiveness AND its value.

-koose.