There are a few inaccuracies in Rich's post.
Steamboat Willie was NEVER public domain.
Frankenstein & Dracula did not pass into the public domain in 1987 either.
The small publisher case he is trying to remember is Eldred v. Ashcroft (537
U.S. 186, appeal denied 538 U.S. 916).

In 1909, the renewal period for copyright renewal was extended to 28 years
(plus the initial 28) for a total of 56 years.
Starting in 1962, the renewal terms were increased by one year each year
until 1978 when it was permanently set at 47 years for pre-1978 works(for a
grand total of 75 years protection - and this is why Steamboat Willie and
Dracula never entered public domain).
Post 1977 works never need file for renewal under this law - it was
automatically granted.
Then in 1998 the "Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act" was introduced
and passed into law granting an additional 20 years of copyright protection
for renewals of pre-1978 works (making them effectively 95 years) and 20
years to the post-1977 term (also making them 95 years).

Basically it has had this effect:
Works from 1922 for sure went into public domain in 1998 (because they had
already entered public domain), but works that were made in 1923 (that were
renewed and still protected) will not enter the public domain until 2019 (or
later if Disney gets all worked up again in the next 12 years).