First thank's for the interesting posting's from Rich and Sean in
particular. This public domain topic I find very fascinating. I enjoyed the
postings!!!

For John:

The cheap video releases in bargain bins that are off label in most cases
are from prints owned by private film collectors. They use their own  print's
or
a friends print of a title. Both 16mm and 35mm source material is  used. I
also am a film collector and do have rare television shows and some  features
too that are rare. They just telecine these to one inch tape  as a slave or
U-matic 3/4 inch video. For the really poor quality stuff it would  not
surprise
me if they just did a telecine to VHS format. Drop out's and all.

Before TV shows became popular for studios to release on DVD I was  loaning
or selling 16mm television shows for video cassette release. All my  stuff was
copyright free and public domain. I loaned and sold quite a few 16mm  prints
of "Marcus Welby MD" for telecine transfer. Also some episodes of  "Mannix".
These prints were on regular  fading eastman stock and had color  "dye shift"
pink or red. These were electronically corrected during transfer  for color
balance. There still are some small companies that put out obscure  stuff and
in most cases it is from a collector's  private collection. I pick up many
prints from e-bay. Shokus Video releases  stuff that is obscure and mostly
likely
a major studio won't want it or  release it so they do.

Studio's were more careful with feature films as far as copyright but  they
just did not keep up with the numerous episodes of older  television show's
except ones they deemed special ones. They never  envisioned future outlet's
for
these older tv shows like home video and  cable etc.

I obtained a feature video transfer for a close relative of "Hogan's  Heroes"
star Larry Hovis. Larry had written the screenplay and the film was very
obscure. I then was able to ask the relative about his residuals. She said
Larry
received nothing from "Hogan's Heroes" re-runs since it was not in the
original contracts. She also told me he received nothing from re-runs of games
shows on the game show network as well. They will usually get paid for the
first
couple of network broadcasts but when the show's went into snyndication  they
received nothing. I bet a lot of these families are frustrated now  with the
fad of tv shows on DVD. Hopefully they get something from ALL those out  now.

--Tom Pennock