From: MoPo List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bob
Brooks
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 11:57 AM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] A note from Dan...

------------
STUDIOS PULLING OUT OF SCREENING FILMS IN CANADA

Dear Movie Fans

Warner Brothers will no longer be "previewing" films in Canada. They
have cancelled screenings of Ocean's 13 , Harry Potter and the new Nancy
Drew film. WB is fed up with the laws of piracy in Canada which (at this
time) say that it's not illegal to videotape a movie in a Canadian
cinema. In fact all the theatre owner can do is ask the person to leave
the theatre. The only way charges can be laid is if it can be proven
that the person making the tape plans on marketing the film
commercially, which we all know is impossible to prove. They estimate
that 25% of all camcorder movies sold around the world were shot in
Canadian cinemas (what they don' t tell you is the ethnic groups
responsible for that but that would be racist). 20th Century Fox has
come on board saying that they are thinking of releasing films in Canada
a few weeks after they come out in the U.S. due to this very problem.

So I say .... why not release the DVD's in theatres the same day as the
films are released theatrically?

Cut out Blockbuster and Rogers and Wall Mart and distribute the films
through the exhibitors (theatre chains). This way if you go see a film
at the theatre and really like it you can buy it on the way out. You
would also be permitted to buy the movie poster which would also be
available for sale there (give those people behind the popcorn stand
something to do when they are not selling popcorn and Coke's for $15).
This way the studios would only have to spend advertising costs once and
not twice (once when the film comes out and once when it comes on DVD).
You'll always get the people who want to see the film on the big screen
and for those of us who want to watch it in our home, we can buy the
movie at the theatre for say $15.00 on the Monday after opening weekend.
This way the studios can get their big weekend grosses and recoup their
budgets.

Then a few months later the studios can milk the release of the special
edition with bonus features and new endings and sell us the Beatles
White album all over again.

This would solve the problem of piracy and we can go back to having
screenings which I have been fortunate enough to watch for over 30 years
until now.

Dan Rickard
The artist formally known as Dan of MoviePosterAuthentication
www.movieposterauthentication.com
<http://www.movieposterauthentication.com/>
Authenticating Movie Posters 1970-2000

PS-I'm clearing out my office at home next weekend and if you want any
movie material drop me a line at [EMAIL PROTECTED]