  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
  Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 2:59 AM
  Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [MOPO] Fake inserts

  I am weighing in with my two penneth here.

  I take one poster as an example, Cline Eastwood The Enforcer.  Put an
original next to one of these minty white versions and you will see that the
reproduction of the Minty White is terrible.

  I put the two out once in front of a collector who was not aware of the
alleged fakes. He said that the Minty one looked fine except the quality of the
photograph was terrible. On further explanation he pointed out the blurriness
of the chinatown signs behind Harry Calahan and the fact that inthe original
you could see Clint's hair creases on the Minty one such detail is not apparent.

  He was a professional photographer, I hasten to add, so he had an eye  for
detail.

  The point is though that there is a definite descrepency with these Minty
Whites and as we know, when they sell to all those aware they sell for the
price of a good reproduction. There is a dealer out there who sells better
reproductions of better posters/titles and has printed where the NSS blurb is
"This is a Reproduction" and has had the art printed smaller on the poster,
while the paper still measures 14 x 36". This to me is an acceptable and
admirable way of handling an issue.

  Lets face it in our heart of hearts we who are suspicious of these minty
white inserts know they are fake. No question at all. Compare the Scarface
Insert with an original, look at the outline around the title. You will see
what I mean.

  Someone somewhere managed to get the plates and ran off a few thousand and
may still have the printers plates. Whoever did start it off has at one point
laughed all the way to the bank with a good few dollars earned. And a good few
people got suckered by them.

  In the end those of us who have a reputation to protect must be vigilant and
not get suckered.

  Adrian