Fairy tales are often very dark (whole books have been written on the subject, but the names of the classic texts escape me right now), so Disney was not really doing anything new, just continuing a tradition.

Tom

Richard Halegua Comic Art wrote:
Phil

I think if you look at lots of Disney films, they have some overtly violent contexts

Snow White: the Witch terrified children at the time and I have 2 cousins who to this day have not seen the film since they were little girls and refused to let their children watch it when they were youngsters

Bambi: the forest fire & a number of other scenes create wailing children everytime it is screened

Peter Pan: death & destruction

Pinochio: oh c'mon, being swallowed by the whale in that terrifying scene makes kids doody their pants.

and those are just some samples.