No matter his politics, Charleton Heston was a very kind man. I went to school
with his son Frazier, who happened to be in one of my classes that I was the
teaching assistant on.

 One day there was a buzz around campus that one of the film classes was
showing Touch of Evil that evening and Charleton Heston might show up. I
decided to grab a few friends and "sit in" on the class. We arrived and no
sight of Mr. Heston, but I figured "hey, a free screening of Touch of Evil, I'm
staying". When the lights went up after the film, there he was sitting in the
front row. I saw Frazier also and he sort of gestured to come up and meet his
Dad. My friends were "no way", but I'm a game girl and up I went. He introduced
me and his Dad took my hand in his hand and leaned over and said "what a
pleasure it was meeting me". Now, I'm not normally the faint of heart type, but
I swear my legs almost went out from under me. He was so gracious and so
handsome and so charming (and so tall), that all my feminist strength went
right out from under me. (Oh well, I still take notice when a man opens a door
for me, don't shoot me!!) I swore to my friends that I would never wash that
hand again (that didn't last long as I am a clean nut). That was about 1974.

 I did have the occasion to see him a couple of other times at studio
functions, but I hold dear that first time of meeting someone I had always
admired on film. While my political beliefs were different, I was able to
delineate his beliefs from his craft and admire him for his work.

 Many of us here on the group have very different value systems and opinions
than others, and that comes up sometimes very vocally on certain subjects.
However, that doesn't mean that we can gauge the whole volume of a person by
opinions on certain subjects that differ from ours. While I, too, did not like
the way Michael Moore went after Mr. Heston in his film, Michael Moore does
bring up a lot of good information and, I think, makes films that are thought
provoking. He makes them in a way that adds humor and sometimes that is the
only way to get certain people to even watch the movie.  So, because I didn't
like his approach with Mr. Heston doesn't mean, for me, that I can negate all
of the work he does, because I think some of it is worthwhile.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.  I was saddened to hear of Mr. Heston's passing
but I believe he had a great life and he touched this old girl's life in that
one little moment.

Sue
www.hollywoodposterframes.com<http://www.hollywoodposterframes.com/>