Rick -

That's one helluva story!

Glenn
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
  Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:00 PM
  Subject: Re: [MOPO] THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY!

     About 25 years ago, there was an ad in a Pennysaver-type weekly paper here
in L.A. for a "Frankenstein 7 Foot Statue" being sold for $75.  I would check
the paper every week religiously when it came out on Thursdays and immediately
call if anything sounded promising.  On this particular Thursday, something
"important" came up and I somehow didn't get around to making the call about
the "statue".  I remember I couldn't sleep that night, kicking myself for not
contacting the person who'd placed the ad. My "rational" mind told me-- "this
thing is probably some blow-up, dumb piece of garbage from the 70's or 80's
that isn't worth anything---it COULDN'T be!  I mean--the guy--whoever he is--
only wants 75 bucks for it!"
    I finally made the call at 10 the next morning---the guy who owned it told
me that the probable buyer was walking up his driveway at that very
moment---"but if he doesn't buy it", the guy told me, "I'll call you back".
  Of course, he didn't call me back. The buyer had paid the $75 and left with
it.  I asked the seller about it and he said it was a full-sized 7-foot
likeness of Boris Karloff used in the movie "Frankenstein".  I remember telling
myself that he must have been mistaken---I couldn't admit to myself that I'd
missed out on something so incredible....
    Flash forward 3 or 4 years--- I had listed a movie poster for sale in the
same weekly publication.  To make a long story short, a man called me and after
speaking with him for awhile I discovered that he was the guy who was walking
up the driveway a few years earlier...the guy who bought the Frankenstein
"statue" that I'd missed out on because I was a day late with my phone call.
The "statue" turned out to be a 7 foot tall "stand-in" for Boris Karloff from
The Bride Of Frankenstein.  It was dressed with the original wardrobe of the
monster and had a life-mask of Karloff as its face.  The guy told me the face
needed a little restoration--but once that was completed he was going to put it
up for auction somewhere.  Looking back now, I can't believe that I never asked
him if I could swing by and take a look at it.  Those were the early days of my
collecting.  It's been quite a long time and I really can't remember how our
whole conversation went...
     Flash forward again...2 years.  I remember looking at Movie Collector's
World or possibly even the L.A. Times---I'm not really sure which.  Anyway,
there was a short article about a movie memerobilia auction ( it was called
Guernsey's) that included what I'm sure was the very same Karloff stand-in
statue from The Bride Of Frankenstein---that I could have had for 75
bucks---having sold for $50,0000!    This was probably in 1988. I don't know
where that incredible piece is now, but I have no doubt that in today's market
it would easily sell for a million bucks!  And I coulda had it for $75!  For
me, THAT'S the one that got away!
                                                              Rick
                                                              rixposterz

  Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at
AOL Food.