tom,

tell us what you really think...  LOL

On May 22, 2008, at 9:58 AM, Tom Martin wrote:

man that was a passionate post dude....
I speculated you were potentially a sicko.... but now you confessed.... I bet you like to pour lighter fluid on 57 fender strats and watch them scream like oscar meier weanies too dont YA.. Mr. Sick Basturd...!

damn wild Rock hippies... always lurking .. hideing under guise of Christmas carolers with Yule tide Cds..

clevere ,,, very clever........... now I know why they make locks for doors!

:)  TOM.......

jbirddouglass wrote:

After 45 years of poster collecting, on and off, I have watched poster prices go from a few bucks for classic titles in the early Sixties to the heart-stoppingly high tariffs commanded during some of the ground-breaking poster auctions in the early to mid- Nineties. Do I pine for the days when I could pick up early Universal horror for twenty bucks? Of course, but I also wish I still had a full head of hair and could buy a house for $30,000. Ebay changed everything in the hobby. Gone are the days of waiting for Movie Collector's World to show up so I could speed read it and try to grab that much-coveted poster before someone else. But remember, there were rip-offs, massive condition obfuscation and really unpleasant people (remember Noel Dean Schiff?) to deal with even in the good old days. At least Ebay provided us with color pictures and a constant supply of product. I rarely browse Ebay...there's just too goddamned much stuff...and when I do look for material, I have certain keywords I use faithfully. I'm sure some of the old-time dealers are nostalgic for the days where they could charge huge prices just for poster being "old". Those days are obviously very much over. I personally collect posters that I respond to emotionally, although I will occasionally snatch an item up for resale if I can get it a price that is low enough to help support my "habit". Sometimes I pay through the nose for my personal lusts, sometimes I catch unbelievable bargains. (I can't get enough copies of "Virgin Sacrifice", for instance, a title that remains rare but always affordable. I can't help it, I'm a sick bastard.) I watch Ebay shooting themselves in the foot with their "improvements" and shrug. I see the delusional sellers with astronomical "Buy it Now" prices on certain titles that sit unsold for years on Ebay and laugh. The hobby is ALWAYS changing, and I always try to roll with the changes as best I can. It's good to have Bruce's new auctions on his web site (although I'm surprised at how long the weaning process on Bruce's Ebay auctions is taking...I thought he'd be all the way gone by now). If I don't like or can't afford what I see, there's always the weekly Heritage auctions, or Rich Halegua's MoverPosterBid. Someday, an original "Donnie Darko" one sheet will be commanding an obscenely high price to some balding, middle-aged Generation X-er while gorgeous Buck Jones stone lithos sit unsold and unsellable in a dusty attic somewhere. As Sonny & Cher said, "The beat goes on." After 45 years, I ain't bored yet. I'm always ready for the next chapter in this weird little hobby.
Greg Douglass
Phil Edwards wrote:

I agree with everthing you say here, Bruce.
Phil

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Bruce Hershenson <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    *To:* MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
    <mailto:MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
    *Sent:* Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:17 PM
    *Subject:* Re: [MOPO] ESCAPE insert

    To me, the price this poster sold for is a great indicator that
the day of just putting up a poster on eBay and hoping buyers find
    it (and pay top dollar) are fast coming to an end.
When I rarely look over *ALL* the movie posters and lobby cards on
    eBay these days, I find a huge percentage of wildly over-priced
    items and outright junk, and next-to-nothing of any desirability
    being offered at somewhat reasonable prices.
I am not blaming the sellers for this. I think eBay does nothing
    to attract new buyers, and their customer service is second to
    everyone, and they do nothing to stop fraud, so why in the world
    *SHOULD *anyone in their right mind continue to list movie
    posters there?
         I believe the same is true in just about every other major
collectible field. Of course, I personally stuck by eBay, because
    I had been there so long, and I hoped they would "wake up" and
make some positive changes, but they show no signs of it, so I am
    gone.
Another thing the price this poster sold for is a great indicator of is changing tastes. Outside of some major film buffs and quite
    old folks, there is no next-to-no one left who remembers stars
    like these. For 20 solid years I have *THOUGHT* that there would
be a re-discovery of these types of stars, but I really don't see
    a sign of it.
Meanwhile, everyone seems to want to buy exactly the same titles
    and stars. And the "Escapes" of this hobby keep selling for
bargain prices. Will its price be better or worse 10 years from now?
         Bruce

    On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 3:10 PM, David Lieberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]