From: MoPo List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David
Kusumoto
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2008 10:29 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] Off topic: Indiana Jones movie does NOT stink.

** I want to thank all of the critics and other people who got a chance
to see this film before I did.

** As a result of the "apparent" consensus view that the new Indiana
Jones movie is "not good" -- we went to a sold-out showing this
afternoon with very low expectations.  The result was an experience that
was in fact -- for us -- pretty darn good.  It has some pacing issues --
but nit-pickers using yardsticks similar to what they'd apply to a
"serious picture" -- should NOT see this film.  I agree it's pointless
to apply deep logic to an action-adventure franchise that's comparable
to James Bond.  This is a popcorn experience that holds together pretty
well.  In fact, if I have any criticism, it's that it feels a little
slow in spots.

** However, the action sequences are marvelous and all the gripes about
the CGI and the "fake looking" jungles and what not -- honestly, I don't
think the average person cares -- AS LONG as he or she feels engaged.  I
think many saw the "paranormal / sci-fi" angle coming a mile away.  I
agree the actors are going through the motions -- but I was not
expecting -- nor wanted -- anything out of the Lee Strasberg school of
acting anyway.  I was led to believe the wonderful Karen Allen was only
a small part of this film.  True, she has very few lines -- but she has
a LOT of screen time and I loved it.  She looks much older, yet still
has that magnetic radiance that made me love her in "Animal House" --
and in the first Indy picture in 1981.

** What caught me off guard was the very last scene in the film.  I
won't give it away but will say it's a crowd pleaser.  While many will
feel it's cornball as all get out, I did not see it coming and felt it
was appropriate sentimentalism for a picture like this.  It worked
marvelously and had us smiling as we walked out of the theater.

** Finally, I think there will always be a great reservoir of resentment
that makes it almost "fashionably cool to hate Spielberg."  Some will
never concede he's good at anything except making money -- and feel they
must always qualify their praise -- that is, if must give him a prop for
anything he does well - they take something away that has the sum effect
of leaving people the impression that he is the purist definition of
being "overrated" and/or the personification of "mediocrity" in
Hollywood.  The new Lucas/Spielberg effort was about an "8" on a 1-10
scale -- and thank goodness -- it was NOT the "Phantom Menace"
disappointment I feared.  It will be forgotten in a few months -- but it
accomplishes what it sets out to do.  More wonderful -- was seeing
hundreds of children in the audience, many with their parents,
thoroughly engrossed with the film.  I always love to see this.  Not
every scene must be filled with breath-taking action.  There was even
applause as the end credits rolled.  Most important, I did not feel that
my money -- or more important, my time -- were ripped off.

______________

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential.
If you are not the
intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not
disclose,
distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender
immediately. In addition,
please be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to
archiving and review by
persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.