Claude's response made me wonder about something else.
How many of us have spouses/partners who are equally interested in
our poster collecting interests? How many just tolerate it? How many have no
idea how
much gets spent on it, and how many collectors hide what they spend on it?

Over the years, I have seen several collectors go bankrupt and several
marriages/
partnerships go bust because of "the hobby" becoming an  obsession.

Does the sentence, EITHER BELA LUGOSI GOES OR I DO ring a bell with any older
collectors, and the
consequences of that statement for one particular collector?

Phil

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 16:48:05 EDT, Claude Litton wrote

> Bruce
>
> The picture you paint has some interesting details but it is not as dark as
> you paint it.  Life changes and you have to go with it.  Before I get into
> eBay, let's talk posters in general.  When I began poster collecting you were
> selling at Christies and also auctions in which you sent out flyers and we
> had to call in to buy items.  Most of the time I was told that what I wanted
> was sold. These were dark days and there weren't many places to get posters.
> Movie Collectors World would arrive by overnight mail to my home and I would
> spend an hour or more with a magnifying glass and then frantically call to
> find out that what I wanted was sold.  We really had no clue as to what was
> rare and valuable and what was fairly common.  Ebay changed all of that.  The
> auctions allowed me to really add to my collection.  I am fortunate in that I
> can afford to buy pretty much what I want and I saw a lot that I wanted. As
> time passed more and more people arrived on the scene and we found o!
 ut what really was scarce and what was fairly common.  The cream has risen to
the top.  You applauded ebay and established yourself very well.  All of us
went into buying frenzies at the beginning because we thought we were obtaining
rare items.  In many cases we did, and many times we did not.  I bought many
only to find out they are plentiful in supply.  I bought many posters on ebay
and most are worth much more today but many will never reach what I paid for
them. (I am thankful for the ones that turned out well as they outnumber the
others)  Basically, ebay's arrival was tremendous and I will always be thankful
it arrived.

--
Nelson Bay Online (http://www.nelsonbay.com)