It is sad you forgot, but this is the one thing the "pro-last second
bidders" rarely mention. Every time someone "forgets" to bid, there is
someone else who bid early who got a better deal because of it.

You certainly don't have to bid your absolute maximum early, but I can't see
how it hurts to place a "lowball" bid early, so if you forget, you still get
the item if you forget to come back.

You CAN set your account to get reminder e-mails of watched items, and if
you are the "forgetful" type, that certainly would be wise to do.

Best of luck not forgetting next time!

Bruce