Years ago when I worked at the Cinema Bookshop in London, where I learned a
great deal about the movie memorabilia business from Fred Zentner, we had a
folder of autographs that had come in from various collections purchased. You
buy several thousands of stills, not at all uncommon that a few may have been
signed.

People used to buy the autographs and invariably ask the question - HOW DO I
KNOW IT'S REAL. Our standard answer had to be - "we cannot guarantee it is
because we did not get it signed in person" (unless it was one that a staff
member had got from one of the many stars that used to come to London to film
or appear in theatre). Fred Zenter would always add for the former,
previous-owner autographs - "when one buys an autograph, one is buying a dream"
- in that the idea is that one was getting something that might have been
touched by stardom... operative word being "might"... but no one could
absolutely 100% guarantee it unless they got the

As another dealer who really did know his autographs (as in being able to tell
a real Mae West from a secretarial or quite precisely date a period of a star's
signature within a few years, or recognise that a particular type of pen or ink
was not in use when the star "signed and dated" the autograph, etc, etc......)
used to also say (and in more recent times) IF THESE ARE ALL REAL AUTOGRAPHS
BEING SOLD EVERYWHERE, THESE PEOPLE WOULD BE DOING NOTHING BUT SIGN AUTOGRAPHS.
THEY WOULDN'T HAVE TIME TO MAKE A MOVIE OR PLAY A FOOTBALL GAME.

Most interesting autograph that ever passed through my hands was a still signed
to a US serviceman..... Carole Lombard-Gable. A New York autograph dealer paid
a lot of money to buy it, and a year or so later told me what he sold it for.
We all did pretty well out of it, apparently, and that was one that was
definitely touched by a dream.

Phil