My wife worked in travel for the last 25 years and I have witnessed how the
airlines slowly squeezed the profit out of booking travel. Ebay's squeeze on us
seems very similar.
Like the airlines eBay controls the system we sell in
Like the airlines eBay is forcing us to accept more and more of the cost of
doing business - at first paypal was free. Now we can't take checks and money
order, soon ONLY paypal will be allowed
The slow push for free postage is the same idea. Most of us will just have to
eat the extra costs because ebay "says" that what our customers want.
Nonsense. THEY want it.
The Airlines said the changes were only to improve customer service and
bring people back to flying. Ebay says the reason for the changes is to bring
back customer that have left eBay.
The Airlines were also pretty strict with travel agencies that broke or
avoided the rules. Slowly they weeded them out of the systems and then the
airline
cut deals with the larger agencies that survived.
Expect something similar from Ebay
The major difference is that ebay does not actually sell anything in the
marketplace they have created.
I would not be surprised, however, if they buy some large wholesaler and
begin selling things themselves.
It seems like EBay is   playing from the same playbook used by many big
companies faced with a lot of little competitors.

It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel
deal here.