LOL

check UPS.. it will be higher

At 03:35 PM 9/8/2008, Michael B wrote:

i called fedex and ups today. small flat packages weighing 1 pound, approx-- a whopping $77-80.00 -----

therefore, USPS global priority with tracking at about 43.00 seems like a bargain.

mbb

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Halegua Comic Art <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 6:08 pm
Subject: Re: [MOPO] shipping internationnally

you cannot get tracking for international mailing by first class /airmail
for tracking or insurance, you must go with Priority
also, any package 4 pounds and over must ship by priority

I deal with this every week and to be honest, shipping costs I think have definitely hamstrung dealers like myself selling internationally

I usually sell multiple items to non-US clients and shipping is outrageous

I sent Ari a box that weighed 36 pounds and it cost $120

and when you folks ask why: it's because the USPS entered into the worst contracts you can imagine with private industry to handle
the mail

the post office, as a pseudo-private/government business contracts with Fed-X, DSL & UPS to handle all international and much of the domestic mail. the economics here are simple. As a government entity, the post office is just supposed to maintain costs in such a way that they don't have to ask taxpayers to cover any shortfall if the USPS for instance were to lose money this year. If the USPS breaks even, they have fulfilled their charter.

Private industry however is in it for pure profit, therefore having private industry handle USPS mail means that a profit motive by those industries determine cost increases so that they achieve those profits. That contract began in 2003 or 04 and since then we have seen huge increases in mailing costs for packages each year. Unfortunately, this isn't going to stop anytime soon as it would require the USPS to re-acquire aircraft and remake shipping stations etc at great cost to the taxpayer again.

have you noticed that vending machines & scales have been removed from most post offices (they will be from all soon)?? in a cost cutting measure because the post office discovered declining revenues since signing the private contracts - which was of course not the expectation and if they can convince you to buy postage online, then they don't need as many counter clerks and save money by freezing hiring and servicing machines costs money too.

shipping is going to at some point require me to raise my own rates and I feel sorry for those of you selling on fleaBay forced to accept $4 shipping.. It may be the biggest reason why sellers will now start leaving them at a faster pace