Happy Holidays, Bruce,

I totally agree with you. Bernie Madoff's 'tragedy' is no more a 'tragedy' than what we all could possibly be if we didn't wrestle with our own demons so as not to visit them upon others. Underneath it all here is a guy with a lot of potential and clearly appearing trustworthy but ultimately there is something broken inside him. And now he has broken so many others for he apparently could not break the cycle by taking responsibility for his own personal shortcomings. So what if he was such a nice guy and smart? There are plenty of people with decent morals and loads of potential in prison right now if only they could reign in their impulses and yes, I suppose those stories are tragic on some level. To revere Madoff due to the breadth of his crime is absurd. End of the day, he is at the top of a 'pyramid' of his own making; that of crook, swindler, and perhaps comparable to a serial killer, only he used trust as his ultimate weapon to destroy the lives of so many out of his personal desperation to succeed or be in control or win or prove that he was good enough, smart enough and gosh darnit people should really like him, or whatthefu*k does it matter?

I suppose there is a tragic component to all our lives but on balance does it define us? Would we be better off, would the world be better off had we not been here at all?

Which brings us to your seasonal proposition of casting Bernie Madoff in the George Bailey role. On balance we're looking at a different ending.

If you've got money, fine, but I'll stick to being a 'King' in my counting house, counting out my blessings,

Patrick