Obviously, everyone is free to interpret this as they choose, but the idea
of the poll is to choose the best song from a movie musical that is
*NOT*primarily a drama or comedy with added songs, so many of the ones
already
suggested are not eligible under a strict interpretation of that (and any
Brodaway musicals that have not been made into movies are also not
eligible). So for example, Rich, "HE'S THE BOOGIE WOOGIE BUGLE BOY OF
COMPANY B" was a song I wanted to include, but it comes from "Buck
Privates", a comedy. And of course I tried not to load down the list with
too many from any one movie, so Richard that is why I chose "If I Loved You"
over "You'll Never Walk Alone", which is a personal preference, although of
course both are great and worthy!

I really was most wondering what exact movie songs just "stuck" deepest in
your brain after you saw them. In my case, one was "Younger Than Springtime"
from South Pacific, which I saw with my parents the opening week.

I do agree that "West Side Story" is just about perfectly written (both
lyrics and music), and that every single song deserves to be included! I was
watching the music scenes with my 9 year old daughter a few days ago, and I
was struck by just how wonderful they are. I'd say the montage version of
"Tonight" stood out as the best of the best, but they are all great.

I was looking over the filmography of Richard Rodgers in compiling the
choices I gave, and it doesn't seem possible one man could have achieved all
he did in his life!

I also think that Howard Ashman and Alan Menken were as great a writing team
as has ever been, and had Ashman not passed away so young, I can't begin to
guess at how many wonderful works they would have had by now!

More replies!

Bruce