I found the whole show about the same as it always is on the tedium level;
which is to say quite high. But I also think that's almost inevitable in any
awards show, whether it's the Oscars or your local Jaycee's Young Entrepreneurs
of the Year.

No matter what, they just can't get away from reading lists of names, then
naming a winner who makes a speech that usually only means something to
themselves and their immediate family. That's the nature of the beast.

That said, I found this year's "innovations" kind of laughable, consisting
mainly of even more self-congratulation, like there isn't already enough of
that.

The big salute to musicals was a disaster; overblown, confusing and totally
soulless (btw, Beyonce, who we already see waaaay too much of, lip-synced
through it while most, if not all, the other performers sang live, not that I
was watching all that closely). Then I found out it was produced by Baz
Luhrmann and that explained everything.

And I agree with whoever was disappointed with the In Memorium segment. With
all the swooping camera shots of the screen on the stage, half the time I
couldn't make out the names of those being honored, which is REALLY unfair to
those whose faces we might not recognize, like screenwriters.

But basically, as I said, tedious. A corporate industry event that just happens
to include celebrities. But of course I watched (nearly) every minute. It's a
guilty pleasure.

Dave
www.posteropolis.com