Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 13:55:46 -0800
From: b...@damnthe.com
Subject: Re: Stills
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

Here's an interesting thought for all you stills collectors out there...

I haven't printed my own photos in about a decade, but here's the story as I
remember it:  There are basically 2 different types of photographic paper -
resin-coated and fibre-based (RC & FB).  The RC paper is nice and flat, thin
and cheap.  The fibre-based is a lot more expensive and doesn't lay flat after
you develop it.  They both produce about the same images.  Now, you might be
wondering why anyone would use FB paper (and basically no one does outside of
professional art photographers)?  The answer lies in the fact that only fibre
paper is archival.  The RC paper is only supposed to last around 80 or 100
years, whence it should theoretically brown pretty rapidly, becoming muddy,
yellow and essentially worthless (like what happens to old color photos from
the 50's in your scrapbook).  So, you can see where I'm going with this (did I
just hear a collective gasp from the golden-age stills collectors out there)...

Now, I don't collect stills, and when I do, they're mostly more modern stills
(last 40 years).  But, those ALL seem to be on RC paper.  I have seen some
stills on what appears to be fibre, but those are few and far between (when
have we known the studios to spend extra time and money on their
advertisements), and mostly decades old.

Anyone know what type of paper they were using in the first 50 years of
Hollywood (you can probably assume that RC was a rather new invention, so they
might have been using fibre in the early days)?

In a couple decades time, are we going to see all the greatest stills in the
hobby dying slowly, one by one?

Something to think about...

Cheers,

Bob