On the AP wires today, see below.

[BTW, Fishler was/is a big buyer of movie posters and is loaded with $$$.  I
saw him at a Bruce's huge auction held in L.A.'s cavernous Pacific Design
Center that I covered 10 years ago for Movie Collector's World.  At the time he
was only 31 -- and he walked away with the biggest prizes of the day -- two
unbacked one-sheets for "Dracula" ($74,750) and "The Invisible Man" ($55,200).]
-d.

----------------------

Rare Superman comic sells for $317,200
Mar 14, 5:44 PM (ET)
By DAVID B. CARUSO

    NEW YORK (AP) - A rare copy of the first comic book featuring Superman has
sold for $317,200 in an Internet auction. The previous owner had bought it for
less than a buck.
    It's one of the highest prices ever paid for a comic book, a likely
testament to the volume's rarity and its excellent condition, said Stephen
Fishler, co-owner of the auction site ComicConnect.com and its sister
dealership, Metropolis Collectibles.
    The winning bid for the 1938 edition of Action Comics No. 1, which features
Superman lifting a car on its cover, was submitted Friday evening by John
Dolmayan, drummer for the rock band System of a Down, according to managers at
ComicConnect.com.
    Dolmayan, who is also a dealer of rare comic books, said he acquired the
Superman comic on behalf of a client he declined to identify.
    "This is one of the premier books you could collect," he said in a
telephone interview. "It's considered the Holy Grail of comic books. I talked
to my client, and we made the move."
    Dolmayan said the client has "a small collection, but everything he has is
incredible."
Only about 100 copies of Action Comics No. 1 are known to exist and they seldom
come up for sale.
    "Maybe in a booming economy, it would have done a hundred grand more, but
in this economy, I think the price is great," Fishler said.
    The man who had previously owned the book purchased it in a secondhand
store in the early 1950s when he was nine years old.
    He paid 35 cents.
---
Associated Press writer Adam Goldman in New York contributed to this report.