this is a REAL horror story!

Richard Del Belso

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 07:07:01 -0500
From: brucehershen...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [MOPO] dilemma on shipping
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

This was one of the low moments of my life, and thanks to Sean for dredging it
up!

I was at the Columbus auction, and a friend had just purchased an original
linenbacked one-sheet from The Kid for a HUGE amount of money from a collector
who was going there. He was afraid of having the poster sent overnight, and he
asked me to "pick it up" for him (since I would be soon seeing him) and I
stupidly agreed to do it, not thinking that this would mean I would spend
several days holding a super expensive tube!

I carried it around for a day, and then in a moment I will never forget, I
quickly went to the bathroom at the auction and set the tube down in the
bathroom, and walked out without it, and returned a minute later, but it was
gone. The auction people announced it, and several very nice people spent
significant time helping to scour the entire building for it but it did not
turn up.

Of course I kicked myself 1,000 times for doing this, and took out many
full-page ads offering a $10,000 reward, but it never turned up (sadly, this
exact poster was one of the Portal Publications, so dozens of people contacted
me to "claim the reward", but they had a Portal!).

I paid my friend back the money he had paid, and assumed I was poorer but wiser.

But two good things came out of this:
1) A couple of years later, I was able to purchase another unbacked example of
the poster for less than half of what my friend had paid, and he gave me the
original purchase price back, cutting my losses by more than half.

2) That incident caused me to always be super paranoid about valuable
collectibles! In the years since I am very proud to say I have auctioned
hundreds of thousands of posters for well over 25 million dollars, and I have
never lost any of them! It helps that when I purchased the block in West Plains
where the eMoviePoster.com warehouse and offices reside, the first thing I did
was build a walk-in vault, that measures 20 ft by 20 ft, and has poured
concrete walls, floor, and ceiling (the ceiling alone weighs over 40,000
pounds).

It has two locking solid metal doors at the entrance. I would love to see
someone take a blowtorch and cut through one of the doors, and finally get it
open and then find another similar door inside!

Anyone have an original linenbacked one-sheet from The Kid in their collection
or know of one for sale? In the years since I lost this poster, I never saw it
offered for sale, and I think it likely the person who took it either threw it
away (too hot to handle!) or has buried it in their collection, waiting for it
to cool off.

Bruce

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Sean Linkenback <slinkenb...@bellsouth.net>