From: MoPo List [mailto:mop...@listserv.american.edu] On Behalf Of
Walton, Jeffrey
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2009 9:07 AM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] nobody seems to bid on posters anymore

In eBay.

I always like to peruse eBay for higher price posters, so I make my way

Entertainment Memorabilia >Movie Memorabilia >Posters

I order by highest prices first, then hit the tab for auctions only..

In the first 150 posters there are only 3 posters with bids..as we get
cheaper in price the next 100 posters, 10 percent have some sort of bid
but it still does question the direction of ebay these days.

I guess nobody really likes to do auctions anymore and everybody is
trying to hedge their investments with buy-it-nows or very high starting
bids..really is a shame.I can't remember the last time I bought a great
piece to add to my collection on eBay.  Everyone wants top dollar these
days and b/c someone once sold Creature from the Black Lagoon for $20000
doesn't mean they are all worth that.

It used to be in the days before ebay that a dealer would buy a poster
and turn it around quickly and make a little profit.  Sure they would be
a little peeved when they heard someone else just sold one for almost
double that but that was the name of the game.  Today if word gets out
about a good poster price it seems there is an instant wave that
automatically raises the price of the posters across the land and
instead of trying to make a tidy little profit they all sit and wait for
the next big score.  And it's not just the poster market..I see it all
the time in the antique business.  Two years ago I was at this antique
market and my wife saw a dealer purchase this piece of pottery for $10,
now in great condition it was worth about $200 at auction.  She told me
about it and it was in okay condition.  I asked how much he wanted for
it. "$350," he said.and this was about 30 minutes later after he bought
it.  I said "I'll give you a $100."  "No deal."  Just last week I went
back to the same market and this piece is still there for his original
asking price and he won't budge.  In past times a $90 profit in 30
minutes made the world go round.so now it just sits there taking up
space because in another stall just down the corner is the same exact
piece for the same asking price.go figure.and I bet if I go back in two
more years this piece will still be sitting there.

It used to be fun collecting stuff.calling around and asking for the
price trying to find your own bargain of the century....ooooo this
dealer has this poster for hundreds less.I'll take it or finding the
that bargain in the innocent eBay days.  Now there is no more fun.it's
basically the same asking price everywhere.it's like walking into
Walmart or Target.

Now this is just my opinion but it's my opinion as a collector not as a
dealer and I have a right to my opinion.but it really does seem like all
the bargains are gone and gone for good.

_____________

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or
confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii)
do not disclose,
distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender
immediately. In addition,
please be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to
archiving and review by
persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.