From: Captain Bijou <captainbi...@comcast.net>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:21:38 AM
Subject: [MOPO] The serial you never saw....

Forty years ago, I was a drama student at the University of Houston (--Randy
Quaid was a classmate of mine and we even appeared in a training film together
for the Houston Police Department--), an avid comic book collector and a fan of
the old movie serials...just like we used to see at our local bijous on
Saturday mornings.

I was also an aspiring filmmaker. I made 8mm and Super 8mm short "ama-films"
for years. Sadly, most of those films have been lost through years.

However, I did manage to hold on to my final film, Captain America,  which
featured friends and fellow students at the U of H in a heartfelt  homage to
the old movie serials. On weekends and evenings -- whenever I could get a cast
and enough rolls of black and white film together -- we'd travel to such exotic
locals as the Houston Ship Channel, the air conditioning plant at the
University of Houston or Todd Shipyards in Galveston to shoot our serial.

Unlike today, when broadcast quality movies can be created on one's laptop, we
had only an inexpensive camera, a guillotine splicer -- to make tape splices
that would not generally show up when projected -- and equal amounts of
enthusiasm and imagination. Primitive the result was, to be sure.

Years later, I added a musical track from a portable cassette player and
narration which I improvised on the spot. Given the time and inclination, since
the technology is already on my computer, I could now tighten up the edits, add
dialogue and sound effects and re-score the music. One day maybe, I will...

Naturally, I was Captain America....after all, I owned the suit and tights!!
For a time, I aspired to be a stuntman and even knew some of the best in the
business: Yakima Canutt, David Sharpe, Jock Mahoney and Tom Steele. To make the
fights seem realistic, I had only to call upon my experiences growing up on the
Houston's northside. I had, as they say, plenty of opportunities to perfect my
technique!!

Anyway, here it is for you to enjoy. If nothing else, it's proof positive that
we were all younger and innocent once upon a time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4tHIyvs82Y

Earl Blair
CAPTAIN BIJOU
www.captainbijou.com