** Interesting theory, but I'm not quite buying it, unless it's an east vs.
west coast cultural thing.  Last year I went to a Bette Davis centennial
tribute hosted by AMPAS and Olivia de Havilland made a surprise visit, flying
all the way from Paris to answer questions about her relationship with Bette --
and the place was packed even though there was no film to show, just a bunch of
primo Bette clips; I also remember a screening of "The Graduate" that had lines
snaking around the block at the AMPAS Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills
(not to be confused with the Kodak Theater in Hollywood), even though the event
sold out weeks in advance.  The stand-by line was ridiculous; that picture has
been re-cycled on DVD many times and the audience was a mix of young and old;
of course, for film buffs, the presence of theater director Mike Nichols and
co-star Katherine Ross could've been a draw, but I remember being a little
disappointed that Dustin Hoffman didn't show.

** No, there's gotta be something else at play especially when L.A., which is
hardly a mecca for high culture -- can outdraw NY for these vintage film
beauties screened in an high quality environment.  The Goldwyn Theater is
massive and everytime I go to these things, nearly every seat is filled; the
sound system is great and people are polite.  This theater has magnificent
one-sheets of the Best Picture winners on display, some linen-backed, and some
not.  And there's always a roped off section for celebrities who show up --
upper middle center of the theater.  Probably the same set-up in NY, which I
have to think is a superior experience to L.A. with its traffic problems and
lack of live theater etiquette already prevalent mid-town.

** With Robert Osbourne of TCM hosting the 1939 series in NY, I'm flummoxed.  I
don't pay much attention to the present-day interests of Generation X, Y or the
New Millennials because I'm optimistic that if they like films at all, they'll
eventually come around to appreciating the classics.  I remember as a pre-teen
somewhat detesting B/W films until I saw Casablanca -- and that got the ball
rolling.  $5 to see a pristine GWTW or Wizard of Oz print with big-time sound
in a luxurious theater?  Shoot, I'd pay $20 or more for the same experience.

-d.