From: Richard Del Belso <rdel...@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [MOPO] New York Revival Houses
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Date: Friday, June 19, 2009, 11:44 AM

#yiv1910294083 .hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;padding:0px;}
#yiv1910294083 {
font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}

Are you referring to the Little Carnegie cinema?
funny story!

Richard Del Belso

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:41:07 -0700
From: joebom...@yahoo.com
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

I discovered these wonderful revival theatres in 1964 when I moved to NYC and
lived in the West Side YMCA for a year (my rent-- $15.00 a WEEK!!!).
One of them was on 57th Street, I believe, not too far from Carnegie Hall (NOT
the CH Cinema.)  They played the usual repertory fare.
One week the theatre held a Nelson Eddy/Jeanette MacDonald Festival and it was
indeed a hoot!  The place was packed one night for a double bill.  During one
moment, Jeanette's character was asked what she thought of Vienna.
Her reply, "Oh....very gay...very gay."
The shriek could be heard all the way to Columbus Circle!!!
And when the tumult died down, one unctious type snarled to the crowd, "You
bitches just have NO RESPECT!!"
That brought down the house again!

Those were the days!!!!!!

Joe B in NOLA-- but sincerely wishing he were living back in expensive,
fabulous New York!!!!!