From: David Kusumoto <davidmkusum...@hotmail.com>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Friday, July 3, 2009 12:11:50 AM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Karl Malden, RIP at 97 (+ Sage Words from Orson  Welles)

 ** That's a great story, Rich.  I'm 100% w/you that people are better off
being honest about their motivations and not apologize for them, e.g., your
great story about John Ford -- and I'm also with you about the genius of
William Wyler.  But I think Wyler and Ford are only appreciated by film nuts.
To me, Wyler has become "more forgotten" than even Victor Fleming, who was the
subject of that recent New Yorker article about "Oz" and "GWTW."

** As I think I wrote earlier, many people mix Wyler up with the similar
sounding Billy Wilder, who most film buffs consider the greater genius because
he was a writer and director of dark comedies and dramas.  But when you look at
the list of classics directed by Wyler, including his Bette Davis pictures --
culminating w/the chain that began with "The Best Years of Our Lives" and
continuing on through "Roman Holiday" and "Ben Hur" -- he had a Midas touch.
At least until he hit a wall during the 1960s (though "Funny Girl" was a
cinematically stylish musical, a new genre for him).  He wasn't articulate but
he was tough, funny and instinctively great.  I think Wyler gets the shaft from
many scholars in love with auteurs -- because his films don't have a visual
signature.  And he wasn't a "message-preacher" producer-director like Stanley
Kramer either.

** But you look at the performances Wyler extracted from the actors in his
films and you recognize his gifts.  He certainly was a "in the moment" type of
guy.  The content of most of his better films is smart and undated.  I turn
into a sobbing wimp no matter how many times I watch "Best Years."  It gets me
every time.  And you're right -- Wyler never cared about a "legacy."  Yet I
also understand if you're a Selznick or a Welles -- and you keep wondering if
you're ever going to be able to top yourself.  I think Coppola went through
something similar when he did "Apocalypse Now," which is finally considered to
be a fractured classic, because I remember the initial disappointment people
had when that film was first released.  But compared to the film that won the
Best Picture of 1979 (Kramer vs. Kramer), "Apocalypse" looks fine indeed.

** Dustin Hoffman used to make fun of his friend, the late Sydney Pollack,
saying Sydney suffered from "Oscar-itis."  After Pollack won an Oscar for "Out
of Africa" in 1985, Hoffman said Sydney didn't know what to do; he was frozen
solid about his next project.  He said Sydney couldn't decide whether he should
deliver some picture even bigger than the one before or just get back into
acting.

** Meanwhile, a director who I think is very underrated -- and deserves acclaim
for lifetime achievement is Ridley Scott.  Just look at his filmography and you
just shake your head.  Scorcese finally got his for a lesser film ("The
Departed") -- while Scott keeps churning out these mini-masterpieces.  Best,
-d.