        *From:* David Lieberman
        <http://us.mc315.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=dli...@aol.com>
        *To:* MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

<http://us.mc315.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=mop...@listserv.american.edu>

        *Sent:* Friday, August 21, 2009 9:33 AM
        *Subject:* [MOPO] update: Mara Corday from TARANTULA gets a
        little carried away....

Well....after speaking with my ebay rep a few times......and
        after getting in touch with the spokesperson for Mara
        Corday....ebays decision stands *for now* (my rep is still
        working on it...but I'm not holding my breath). The listing
        has been removed and if I attempt to re list it I will be a
        violation.
yes......lunacy is alive and well at ebay. *ORIGINAL EMAIL I RECEIVED FROM EBAY*

        Dear cinemasterpieces (dli...@aol.com),

        You recently listed the following Fixed Price listing:

        350233078162 - TARANTULA *1SH ORIG MOVIE POSTER SPIDER SCI FI
        MONSTER

        The listing was removed because it violated eBay policy.

        The rights owner or an agent authorized to act on behalf of
        the rights owner, Mrs. Richard Long aka Mara Corday, notified
        eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights.
        When eBay receives a report of this type of violation, we
        remove the listing to comply with the law.

        Listings or items that contain a celebrity's name, likeness,
        or signature may infringe his/her right of publicity. This
        right is generally defined as an individual's right to control
        and profit from the commercial use of his/her identity, and is
        not limited to only celebrities.

        You may need the celebrity's authorization to use his/her
        name, likeness, or signature in a listing or to list an item
        using such elements. Items that contain a celebrity's name,
        likeness, or signature may infringe his/her right of
        publicity. Such items are not permitted on eBay, unless they
        were made or authorized by that person.

        For more information visit the following Help page:

        http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/celebrity-material.html

        To take the intellectual property tutorial, please visit:

        http://pages.ebay.com/help/tutorial/verotutorial/intro.html

        Please be aware that any additional violations of this policy
        may result in the suspension of your account. eBay understands
        that you may be concerned about this situation.We encourage
        you to contact Mrs. Richard Long aka Mara Corday directly if
        you have any questions.

        You can send an email to: /deleted/
For more information on how eBay protects Intellectual
        Property, or for additional information if you believe that
        your listing has been removed as a result of an error or
        misidentification, please visit the following Help page:

        http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/programs-vero-ov.html

        For more information on why eBay may remove a listing, please
        visit:

        http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/listing-ended.html

        Please be assured that your listings have not been targeted in
        any way. Although there may be similar items currently listed
        on eBay, we review all listings that are reported to us by
        eBay members or Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) program
        participants. We rely on reports from our members to help
        maintain the safety and security of our Community. We
        encourage you to report any items by using the REPORT THIS
        ITEM button on the listing so we can quickly remove any other
        items that should be removed.

        Thank you for your understanding.

        Sincerely,

        eBay Trust & Safety team
*Here is the email I sent to Mara Corday* ** Hello! My name is David Lieberman, owner of the website
        www.CineMasterpieces.com <http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/>.
        We sell vintage original movie posters on ebay and directly on
        our website. These are ORIGINAL movie posters....they were
        printed for use in theaters.....*we do not sell reproductions
        of any kind.*
Recently we were informed by ebay that you had one of our
        listings ended for an original one sheet poster for Tarantula
        from 1955.
Again, this is an original linen backed one sheet movie
        poster we have for sale. *It is not a reproduction*.
We are not violating your intellectual property rights by
        selling a poster that was printed 54 years ago.
I'm sure that this was just an honest mistake on your part. I
        can understand you wanting to prevent unauthorized use of the
        image.
I was wondering if you could inform ebay that it is o.k. for
        us to re list this poster. I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you and kind regards, ---------------------------------------------------------

        *And the email I received back from her (her
        spokesperson/lawyer/representative whatever).*
Dear eBay celebrity memorabilia seller/dealer: Please review the following eBay policy restrictions regarding
        the sale of "Celebrity Material":
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/celebrity-material.html Please be advised that Mara Corday owns, and therefore may
        legally control, rights of use with respect to Mara

        Corday's Name, Image and Likeness.
This email shall serve as written notification that your use of Mara Corday's Name, Image or Likeness is
        not authorized by Mara Corday.

Thank you.รพ

So basically........according to the geniuses at
        ebay......anyone can complain to ebay if a listing for a fully
        licensed movie poster contains their name or image (not in the
        title........but even if it just appears in the ebay photo of
        the poster)....and ebay will remove it. Even if the person
        complaining gave permission over 50 years ago for their name
        and image to be used on the poster......they can now claim
        someone is infringing their rights by trying to sell that
        poster that is over 50 years old.
Every movie poster listing on ebay is in potential violation
        of these rules.

        *David Lieberman**
        *CineMasterpieces.com <http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/> |
        15721 N. Greenway Hayden Loop, Suite 105 -- Scottsdale, Az 85260
        _Vintage Original Movie Posters__ | 602 309 0500 |
        Office/Gallery Open By Appt. Only._